Throughout history, rings have been a valuable accessory. More than just a social status marker, rings have been a symbol of everlasting love between romantic partners. Nowadays, there are many types of rings for different circumstances, including promise rings.
As its name denotes, a person gives a promise ring to their partner to make a vow or pledge. People make promises and declare their commitment to each other, such as, “I promise to stay faithful and honest with you.”
It can be challenging to figure out what exactly to say when you give the ring to your significant other. The first and most important step is reflecting on your motivations behind buying the accessory.
Below is a complete guide for determining what to say in such a meaningful situation, followed by some examples to inspire you. Lastly, some tips related to giving a promise ring are also listed.
What to Say When Giving a Promise Ring: Instructions and Guide
Even the most eloquent people sometimes struggle with expressing their feelings. Reading a guide can help you gather your emotions, rehearse what you will say, and mentally prepare for the moment you give your partner a promise ring.
Reflect on Why You Bought a Promise Ring
The best thing to say when giving a promise ring is why you are giving one in the first place. A promise ring means something different to every person; as soon as you start looking into rings for your partner, reflect on your motivations behind it.
Here are some common meanings a promise ring can have:
- You want a physical symbol of your commitment to your relationship.
- You want to propose to your partner, but you want to let them choose the engagement ring they prefer.
- You just want to show your partner how much you love and care for them.
- You want to wait a little longer to take your relationship to the next level for practical or financial reasons.
- You want to commemorate a significant event or milestone, such as an anniversary or vow renewal.
- You and your partner are working on a goal together; the promise ring is a tangible sign of your dedication.
- Your budget only permits a promise ring at the moment, which is generally more affordable than engagement rings.
- You and your partner are in a long-distance relationship; the promise ring is a physical manifestation of your commitment.
- You vow to wait until after your wedding to have sex.
Whatever your reason is, use that as a starting point for what you will say when you give the promise ring. If you prefer a short but impactful speech, telling your partner your motivation will be more than enough.
Write a Short Message on a Card
Many people find it difficult to say something sentimental and vulnerable, even to their partners. If anxiety is stopping you from giving a promise ring, consider writing your thoughts and emotions on a card.
You can hand it to your partner while you show them the ring. Alternatively, you can use it as a script to avoid forgetting anything you want to say.
You can also write any romantic, funny, or cheesy quotes you know. You can search for poems, song lyrics, and lines from movies that encapsulate the message you want to send to your partner.
Figure Out Where You Will Say It
The place where you will give the promise ring to your partner might help you come up with the speech you want. If you have the opportunity, choose a symbolic place significant to your relationship.
For instance, you can take your partner to the restaurant where you had your first date. You can visit the park where you first met, the spot where you asked them to go out with you, or whatnot.
However, do not stress out about the location too much. If you think your living room is the perfect place, go with what your gut says. You can set something up — fairy lights and your favorite Netflix series — or just do it without theatrics and embellishments.
Consider Being Spontaneous
Your short speech while giving a promise ring is vastly different from wedding vows. For one, you will deliver your speech in a private setting. Likewise, it does not require as much pre-planning and setup.
Do not be afraid to give the promise ring to your partner when you think the time is right. Sometimes, the right time is simply lounging on the couch while watching your favorite sitcom reruns.
Examples of What to Say When Giving a Promise Ring
1. “I know long-distance will be challenging, but I believe in us. I promise to always be faithful to and honest with you. We can get through this.”
2. “I see a future with you, and I cannot wait to see what that next chapter of our lives holds for us. There is nothing I want more than to grow old with you. Will you marry me?”
3. “Do you remember this place? We had our first date in this restaurant, at this booth, and we ordered some burgers and French fries. Feels like forever ago, doesn’t it? Now we’re both in our 30s, worrying about taxes and oil prices.
I wanted to take you here again because I got you a promise ring. There’s nothing I’m surer of than the fact that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I can’t wait to wake up next to you, make you a cup of coffee, and watch trash TV with you every day.
You’ve always taught me to be practical — that’s one of the things I love about you. So I know it might not be the best time for us to get married, financially speaking.
This promise ring symbolizes my vow that when the time comes when we can finally breathe, we will do it right. We will have our dream wedding and go on an epic honeymoon. I love you, and I’m here for the long run.
4. “Happy 20th anniversary, love. Thank you for never giving up on me and on us. With this promise ring, I vow to always stay by your side and to keep learning how to love you better than I did the day before.”
5. “A wise man once said, ‘Love conquers all things; let us too surrender to Love.’ I want to give you this promise ring to tell you my love for you knows no end or limit. You have my heart, all of it.”
6. “This promise ring is a symbol of my lifelong commitment to you and our relationship. I love you.”
7. “Life hasn’t always been easy for us; we’ve had our fair share of ups and downs. I want to give you this promise ring to symbolize that I will never give up on us. You are worth everything to me.”
8. “Elizabeth Barrett Browning said it best when she said, ‘Love doesn’t make the world go round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile.’ There’s a lot I still don’t know, but what I’m sure of is that my life has changed for the better because of you.
I want you to have this promise ring as an assurance of my love, commitment, and faithfulness. You inspire me to always strive to be the best version of myself, and I want you to be here with me.”
9. “With this promise ring, I vow to stay faithful to you and our relationship. I promise to do my best to honor you, support you, and cherish you the way you deserve.”
10. “This could be the start of something new
It feels alright to be here with you, oh
And now, looking in your eyes
I feel in my heart
The start of something new
I know you’ve wanted a rom-com moment for a long time, so I sang you a song before giving you your present.
I’ve been meaning to give you a promise ring for a while. You’re it for me, love. I can’t envision a future without you in it. I see us raising five dogs, maybe starting our own business, and living the life we’ve always dreamed of.
Through this ring, I promise you that my love is deep, resilient, and true. I promise you the moon, the Sun, and the entire universe. I will love you for as long as you let me, which I hope is forever.”
11. “Like this promise ring, my love for you knows no beginning and end.”
12. “Someday, you will have a beautiful wedding band on top of a diamond engagement ring. You will take everyone’s breaths away when they see you walk down the aisle.
For now, I want to give you this promise ring. The future is an unpredictable, exciting thing; I promise to hold your hand and stand beside you as we go full speed ahead. I promise to love you wholeheartedly and unconditionally.”
13. “When the time is right, I want to stand in front of our families, friends, and God and declare our love and commitment. Let this ring be a symbol of my vow to someday get down on my knee and ask for your hand in marriage.”
14. “I feel nothing but gratitude that the universe pulled all the strings necessary to bring me to you. You have changed my life for the best, my love. This promise ring symbolizes that a new chapter of our lives is coming.”
15. “Love, you are my life partner, best friend, and soulmate. I want to give you this promise ring as a way of saying, ‘My heart has always been and will always be yours. Take care of it, as I promise to take care of yours.’”
Giving a Promise Ring: Essential Tips and Things to Know
The Right Time to Give a Promise Ring
There are no rules as to when you should give a promise ring. However, most people tend to wait at least several months into their relationship.
Some people buy promise rings for their partners as early as six months into their relationship. Other couples might wait one year, two years, or more. Ultimately, it depends on your situation and intuition.
As illustrated above, there is no right time to give a promise ring; you can do it anytime and make it right.
Workshop and Rehearse Your Speech
Once you have an idea of what to say when giving a promise ring, it is a great idea to rehearse your speech a few times — no matter how short it is. This way, you can check if there are parts that do not flow as smoothly or naturally.
Give yourself plenty of time to make edits to your speech. You might feel the need to add or subtract from it. Similarly, you might think of a better metaphor or phrasing for your sentiments.
If you are comfortable, you can ask someone you trust to listen to your speech. Beyond constructive feedback, they can also give you moral support and comfort.
Prepare to Improvise
Given that this occasion is momentous and symbolic, you are bound to have some nerves. No matter how much you rehearse your speech or read from a script, you might stumble on your words or even think of a better way to verbalize your emotions.
Instead of restricting yourself from improvising, welcome it. You might even be more effective — and endearing to your partner — at communicating your feelings this way.
At the end of the day, you do not have to force yourself into delivering a big speech. Figuring out exactly what to say when giving a promise ring does not matter as much as the sentiment behind it. Just be honest and genuine; your partner will love and appreciate it.