Exchanging your wedding vows is one of the most memorable parts of any type of ceremony. They contain your promises to your partner as you enter a new stage in your relationship: married life. In a typical wedding ceremony, it comes after the couple declares their intent to marry.
Spiritual wedding vows are wedding vows that revolve around our humanity and soul. It may or may not be affiliated with a specific religion. Instead of being materialistic or physical, spiritual wedding vows focus on the emotions and qualities of individuals.
Heart-melting Spiritual Wedding Vows
1. “I, (your name), take you, (partner’s name), to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife/partner). With God as our witness, I promise to be true to you, in sickness and health, for richer or poorer, through the ups and downs. I promise to love you, hold you, and cherish you for as long as we live.”
2. “According to 1 John 3:10, “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” I promise to honor you, love you, and be there for you through thick and thin. I believe that God made us for each other because together, we can live a life according to God’s word. I promise to be the best version of myself, so I can be the best (husband/wife/partner) that you deserve.”
3. “In God’s name, I promise these to you: I will love you wholeheartedly, regardless of time and place and circumstance; I will treat you with the respect you deserve, even through turbulent times; I will work hard to give us a comfortable, safe, and secure life; I will stand by you through the challenges of married life; I will strive to always put God at the center of our union. I vow to stay true to my promises for as long as we live.”
4. “To my (husband/wife/partner), best friend, soulmate, adviser, and number one fan, I give myself to you today in marriage. I vow to love you unwaveringly, unchanging even on the bad days. I vow to stay strong, calm, and open, so we can weather even the worst storms that may come. I vow to be honest, faithful, and trusting.”
5. “My love, the day I met you, it felt like God had finally answered my prayers. You make me happy, inspire me, and motivate me to step out of my comfort zone. Every day, I find new reasons to fall in love with you all over again. On our special day, I promise to honor you, care for you, and dedicate myself to you. I will tirelessly support you in your endeavors, as I know you have and will continue to do the same, for as long as we live.”
6. “You cannot possess me for I belong to myself
But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give.
You cannot command me, for I am a free person,
But I shall serve you in those ways you require.
And the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand.
I pledge to you that yours will be the name I cry aloud in the night.
And the eyes into which I smile in the morning.
I pledge to you the first bite from my meat,
And the first drink from my cup.
I pledge to you my living and dying, each equally in your care,
I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine
I shall not slander you, nor you me
I shall honor you above all others, and when we quarrel, we shall do so in private
And tell no strangers our grievances.
This is my wedding vow to you.
This is the marriage of equals.”
– Celtic Wedding Vow
7. “I, (your name), give myself in marriage to you, (partner’s name), in harmony with the Holy Qur’an and the Holy Prophet. I vow to be obedient, faithful, and loving as a (husband/wife/partner), and to be genuine and honest in our everyday life. May He grant us peace and blessing as we enter married life.”
8. “It’s insane to think that there are 197 countries and more than seven billion people in this world, and somehow, I was lucky enough to meet you. Over the years, I have gotten to know you, discover what you like and dislike, and learn all the ways we work well together. As we get married today, I promise to stand with, stand by, and stand up for you; I promise to love you, care for you, and grow with you; I promise to accompany you in all of life’s adventures and comfort you in all of life’s challenges. I know, in my heart of hearts, that we are forever; wherever you go, I will be right there with you. I love you.”
9. “Let me quote Matthew 19:6, “So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” I can’t pinpoint the exact moment I knew, but I know that I feel forever about you. I promise to love you, on the good days and bad days, on the ups and downs, and on times when loving becomes challenging, I will remember all of the things that made me fall in love with you in the first place. I know married life will not be easy, but I feel good knowing that you will be by my side. I promise to honor our commitment, grow with you, and support you as you work towards your dreams. I love you.”
10. “The German word fernweh, or “farsickness,” refers to a feeling of homesickness or nostalgia for a place you have never been. I remember reading this as a teenager and immediately identifying with it. For years, I wandered on earth feeling lost, or feeling like a part of me is missing. Everything changed when I met you. The first time you held me in your arms, I knew I had found my home. Today, I promise to always be someone you can call your home; I vow to care for you, support you, comfort you, and love you unconditionally. I promise to live every day fearlessly, knowing that whatever comes our way, we have each other, and everything will be okay. I promise to stay true to you, to accept every part of you, and to navigate this world with you by my side. I love you.”
11. “My love, I promise to love you with all of my heart. I promise to be open, honest, and forgiving. I promise to love you the way the sun rises and sets: constant, sure, and all-encompassing. You are my best friend, my soulmate, my angel, and the light of my life; I promise to never stop showing you how much I appreciate you. Your presence brings me comfort and security., and I promise to always do my best to make you feel the same way. For as long as we live, I will love you.”
12. “For so long, I have built walls to safeguard my heart. Many describe falling in love as their partner breaking through their walls, or pushing past them, but darling, you didn’t do any of those. Instead, you found me and patiently guided me as I tore each wall down brick by brick. You saw my imperfections and took them for what they are; you taught me that I am worthy of love and admiration. I promise to always be grateful for you, to stand by you in times of peace and trouble, and to live life to the fullest with you. My heart rests easy knowing it has your heart by its side. I love you.”
13. “I, (your name), take you, (partner’s name), to be my life partner, best friend, and companion, with God as our witness. Heavenly Father has granted us the gift of eternal love, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for us. I promise to be by your side, in sickness or health, in prosperity or hardship, in tranquility or turbulence. My love for you will stand tall and proud, unwavering in the test of time. With God in the center of our union, there will be no challenge we cannot overcome. I love you.”
14. “I, (your name), take you to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife/partner), to spend our lives together in the holy and blessed relationship of marriage. For as long as we are alive, I will untiringly offer you my support, gratitude, comfort, love, and affection. I promise to be faithful. I promise to hold your hand, stand beside you, and face life’s hurdles together. We are stronger together, and over time, I know our love will only grow.”
15. “I, (your name), take you, (partner’s name), to be my (husband/wife/partner). In the presence of our friends, families, and (God/Universe/Deity), I make these promises: I vow to be loyal to you; I vow to foster our commitment and let it grow stronger each day; I vow to constantly seek new things to fall in love with you for; I vow to always take care of you for as long as we walk on this earth.”
16. “To quote the book of Song of Songs 8:6, “Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.” I promise to love you, in times of passion and quietude, in times of stability and insecurity. I promise to keep feeding the fire of our love with kindling of joy, adventure, excitement, and affection. I promise to stay true to you, to find shelter and comfort in your company, and to tirelessly be the wind beneath your wings.”
17. “(Partner’s name), you are my best friend, my hope, my solace, my sun, my earth, and my moon. You are my constant in this ever-changing world. For the rest of our life, I vow to respect you, cherish you, and appreciate you for who you are. I promise to listen to you with an open heart, nurture our mutual passions, and give you the space to be the inspiring individual you have always been. I promise to share with you every part of my soul because I know in my heart that you love me for who I am. May we live a blessed life; I know you will be an amazing (mother/father/parent), and I can’t wait to finally start a family with you.”
18. “My favorite passage from the Bible comes from Romans 12:9-12. It goes, “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” I vow to stay true to God’s word and to always see you for what you are: God’s gift. This verse from the Bible will be in my heart, and I will let its words guide me as we navigate married life.”
19. “Let me begin my vows with 1 John 4:7, “Beloved, let us love another: for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and knows God.” I love you as I love God; I promise to be faithful, true, and unfaltering in my love for you. Come what may, I promise to be untiring in my support, comfort, and affection. Through all the days of my life, I promise to walk hand-in-hand and heart-in-heart with you wherever we go.”
20. “In God’s mighty name, I vow to love you, guide you, and protect you. Together, we can be vessels for His word; I vow to live my life in accordance with His message. I promise to stand with you, to trust you, and to be one with you. I truly cannot imagine a better life than one with you and God in its center.”
21. “Love triumphs. Love is a triumph. It may have taken us this long to find true love, but I know the wait will all be worth it. I promise to explore with you so that we can find the answers to all the questions you have. I promise to respect your autonomy, to let you live a life that is fulfilling for you as an individual. At the same time, I promise to work with you hand-in-hand to build the life we have envisioned. I promise that I will tirelessly actualize these words for as long as we live.”
22. “I do not need much to live a happy life. Just as long as I have you by my side, I will be the happiest and most content (man/woman/person) in the world. I promise to accompany you in our endless pursuit of happiness, peace, and friendship. I promise to always be grateful and appreciative of the blessings that come our way. I promise to listen to you, acknowledge your needs, and work with you in this perpetual adventure we call life. To the most beautiful (man/woman/person) I know, I love you; today is the start of forever.”
23. “With God as my witness, I promise to be steadfast in my love for you. I have no doubt that the road ahead is littered with challenges and hardships. While there is no way to fully prepare for what’s to come, I rest easy knowing that we are side by side, and we will get through everything together. Convenient or troublesome, confident or insecure, excited or fearful — regardless of our circumstances, I will continue to love you for as long as we are alive.”
24. “We have a love that is once in a lifetime. Our connection is incomparable to anyone else’s. I am the most blessed (man/woman/person) because amidst all the stressors and conflicts in this life, I met my soulmate and we fell in love. I vow to nurture our love, watch it with pride as it bears fruit, and tend to its roots. Our bond will only grow stronger with time. Thank you for showing me that a love like that is possible.”
25. “I, (your name), take you, (partner’s name), to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife/partner). In the name of God, I solemnly vow to love you eternally with a love that is constant and resilient. For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and health, this love is here to stay. I will hold you, care for you, and cherish you for as long as we live.”